Learn how to easily add variable shipping charges to your products, for anywhere in the world.
Do you want to add shipping & handling costs to your product? Then you are in the right place! Let's see how it's done...
How To Turn On Shipping & Handling
Follow the directions below to enable Shipping & Handling charges.
- Click on the Products tab.
- Select any product (or create a new one).
- Click the Product Details tab.
- Scroll down to Type and select the Physical (1) option.
- Enter your Shipping Cost (2) (learn more below - Customizing Your Shipping Costs).
- If you would like to restrict shipping to specific countries/regions, toggle on Restrict shipping to selected locations (3).
- If this is a Subscription product and you would like the shipping cost applied to recurring charges, toggle on Apply shipping to recurring subscriptions (4):
- Click Save Changes and you're all set!
Now that your product is classified as a Physical product, you will notice that your page automatically includes Shipping Address fields. Collecting a Shipping Address is required for physical products and cannot be turned off.
Customizing Your Shipping Costs
You are free to charge whatever you would like for shipping & handling on your SamCart products. To customize what you are charging for shipping & handling, follow the instructions below.
- Click on the Products tab.
- Select any physical product (or create a new physical product).
- In the Type section, find the Shipping section (pictured below).
Use this table to set shipping & handling charges based on your customer's country.
- In the Single Item column, enter the price you want to charge for shipping & handling.
- In the Each Additional Item column, enter the additional price you want to charge if your customer decides to purchase more than 1 of your product.
As an example, in the screenshot above, United States customers who purchase 3 of this product will be charged $14.00 for shipping & handling ($8.00 + $3.00 + $3.00 = $14.00 total).
Canadian customers who purchase 2 of this product will be charged $18.50 for shipping and handling ($12.50 + $6.00 = $18.50 total).
Countries & Zones
You can customize your shipping costs based on where your customers are buying from. Your Shipping table will come pre-loaded with two options.
- Your Marketplace's Default Country
- “Everywhere Else” (this includes every country other than your default country)
If you would like to add an additional country or zone, click on the +Add Location button to choose another location and specify its shipping cost per item.
In the dropdown menu, you can select either an individual country or a zone.
Zones are pre-determined groups of countries, designed to save you time when setting shipping rules. For example, instead of creating rules for each individual country in North America, you can simply select the North American zone.
SamCart has 9 zones you can choose from. They are:
- North America
- South America
- Europe: Non-EU
- Europe: EU
You also have a complete list of world countries to choose from. Any rule for an individual country will override rules for a zone that country is a part of.
For example, if you have shipping costs set to $5.00 for the United States, and a separate rule charging $10.00 for North America, any United States customers will be charged $5.00 for shipping & handling.
To restrict shipping to specific countries or regions, simply +Add Location for each location you are shipping to and set Restrict shipping to selected locations to On.
For example, if you wanted to only ship to the United States and Canada, your set up would look like this:
If a customer selects a country that is not approved for shipping, they will see an error at checkout:
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I charge shipping for an Upsell product?
A: Yes! Simply enter shipping costs on the Product Details page of the product you are selling as an Upsell. That shipping cost will automatically be added to a customer's order total if the Upsell is accepted.